It’s a celebration of cinema at the Reel Art Film Festival at Cinema Nouveau and select Ster-Kinekor cinemas from the 26 November to the 5 December. With award season around the corner Cinema Nouveau will be showcasing the buzzworthy films and possible front-runners for the Oscars. The film festival will feature 7 internationally acclaimed films by the Award-winning directors including Pablo Larraín, Wes Anderson, Ridley Scott and Pedro Almodóvar.
The festival offers a six-day screening programme from 26 – 28 November and 3 – 5 December and takes place concurrently at Cinema Nouveau theatres in Johannesburg (Rosebank Mall), Pretoria (Brooklyn Mall) and Ster-Kinekor cinemas in Cape Town (Somerset & Blue Route) and Durban (Gateway).
The 7 internationally acclaimed films lined up for the Reel Art Film Festival – include:
- House of Gucci: an upcoming American epic biographical crime drama directed by Ridley Scott. It is based on the 2001 book The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed by Sara Gay Forden. The film stars Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Jeremy Irons, Salma Hayek and Al Pacino.
- King Richard: The 2021 American biographical drama film directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and written by Zach Baylin. The film follows the life of Richard Williams, the father and coach of famed tennis players Venus and Serena Williams and stars Will Smith in the title role.
- Parallel Mothers: The 2021 Spanish drama film written and directed by Pedro Almodóvar. The film stars Penélope Cruz and Milena Smit.
- The French Dispatch: A love letter to journalists set in an outpost of an American newspaper in a fictional 20th-century French city that brings to life a collection of stories published in “The French Dispatch”. Directed by Wes Anderson and stars Benicio Del Toro, Adam Brody, Bill Murray, Tilda Swindon, Francis McDormand and Timothée Chalamet.
- C’mon C’mon: Johnny and his young nephew forge a tenuous but transformational relationship when they are unexpectedly thrown together in this delicate and deeply moving story about the connections between adults and children, the past and the future. From writer-director Mike Mills starring Academy Award Winner® Joaquin Phoenix and Woody Norman.
- Spencer: During her Christmas holidays with the royal family at the Sandringham estate, Diana decides to leave her marriage to Prince Charles. Directed by Pablo Larraín and starring Kristen Stewart, Timothy Spall and Jack Nielen.
- Silent Night: From producers Matthew Vaughn, Trudie Styler and Celine Rattray (The Kids Are Alright), Silent Night follows a group of old friends who, in true British fashion and while the rest of the world faces impending doom, reunite to celebrate Christmas in the comfort of an idyllic country home. Starring Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode, and Roman Griffin Davis.
To find out more information including screening times and ticketing, check here.